1. Perhaps the most dangerous phenomenon gripping the nation today is official corruption , which is pervasive in all levels of government .
2. One of the pressing problema facing our nation ( China ) today is overcoming disparities in urban and rural income levels
3. One of the most serious problems many people talk about centers on th lack of adequate housing space .
4. Inflation is yet another new and bitter truth we must learn to face .
5. The rapid expansion of urban areas has in many cases encroached on valuable cultivatable land , and led to a general recognition that development must not be carried at the cost of agriculture . The government has attached greater importance to the problem and an increasing number of redundant projects are being terminated .
6. There is a growing worldwide awareness of the need for strengthened environmental protection .
7. Perhaps no issues are more controversial than euthanasia and abortion , both of which involve taking the life of a human being .
8. There has been a dramatic increase in the spread of HIV/AIDS in recen years , with a new study projecting that the dreaded disease will affect over 30 million people worldwide by the year 2005 .
9. Working with the disabled cannot help but leave one impressed with their indefatigable desire .
10. Never before in history has the issue of overpopulation been more evident than now .
11.When asked about the ongoing uproar involving U.S. President Bill Clinton , most people say the affair involves a purely private matter . But many other people regard his actions as deplorable . I personally think the president committed impeachable offences 当被问及对现在有关美国总统比尔·克林顿的沸沸扬扬的议论有什么看法时，大多数人认为这种暧昧关系纯属私事。但是，还有很多人认为他的行为应当受到谴责。我个人认为总统犯了这些过错，应该被指控。
12. When it comes to the increasing use of motor vehicles in Beijing , som people think that use should be limited . Others argue that the opposite is true . There is probably some truth to both arguments,but emission controls must be instituted regardless of the number of vehicles.
13. There is a general debate nowadays about the problem of itinerant workers . Those who object to the rising migrant population argue that increasing numbers lead to rising crime rates and harm social stability . They believe that strict limits should be placed on migrants entering China ’ s cities . But people who favor the influx of the cheap labor force , on the other hand , maintain that migrants are needed to support the massive urban infrastructure construction program .
14. It is widely acknowledged that extensive deforestation contributed to heavy summer flooding . Experts argue that China must introduce a massive afforestation program . But I doubt whether afforestation alone will solve the problem .
15. Most people are of the opinion that wealth provides solutions to all problems . But in spite of the material benefits wealth provides , I believe on should abandon the pursuit of materialism and instead concentrate on the pursuit of happiness .
16. Many people believe that capital punishment deters crime . But althoug criminologists have conducted exhaustive research regarding the subject , little evidence exists to support the claim .
17. An increasing number of people are joining the " Information Age " via the Internet . In reaction to the phenomenon , some say the Internet has removed barrters and provided people with immediate access to the world . But do they raelize that rapidly advancing information technology can also lead to intrusions of privacy ?
18. The use of guanxi is a widespread method for conducting business , but is it a wise one ? The method is now being challenged by more and more people .利用关系是做生意的普遍做法，但这种做法明智吗?现在，越来越多的人对这种方法提出了质疑。
19. These days we often hear about the widening gap between the rich and poor . Some argue the developed world has totally ignored the problem . But has it ? Close examination fails to bear out the argument .
20. We ’ re often told that the world is tethering on the brink of destruction . But is this really the case ?